Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Relationship Reflection




Jon and I have been married for 14 years.  He is my soul mate and my other half.  Our relationship is based on loyalty, honesty and love.  Together we form a partnership in providing for and raising our family as well as taking care of each other.  We have fallen in love over and over again.  Sharing the same philosophies and goals for our family has created a stronger partnership.



   Alixx is my 17 year old daughter.  She and I have a wonderful relationship.  We are open and honest with each other.  I ensure that I give her quality one on one time to build a strong relationship in which she feels comfortable, empowered, and guided.



Kamryn Ann is my eleven year old daughter.  She is very impressionable so I tend to spend lots of time talking to her about life.  The two of us have very different personalities.  In order to build a stronger relationship with her, I put myself in her shoes often and value her individuality. 



Jace is my 8 year old son, my baby, my love.  He has special needs and I tend to cater to his needs.  He has a huge heart and approaches life and its challenges positively.  Together we remind each other to stay optimistic and kind to others.  I have created a safe, warm and loving environment that he can successfully thrive in.

My mother, Teresa is my rock and inspiration.  She has taught me many lessons in life.  One lesson she taught me is to stand up for what I believe in and fight for what I want in life.  My mother and I are just like best friends.  We share common interests and understand each other’s unsaid words.  We have had our share of ups and downs, but always know each other are there when needed.  We have a mutual respect for on another that has built a strong relationship between us.


My Father-in-law, Bob and I have built a strong relationship.  He is a strong man who has faced many obstacles in life, one being the loss of his wife, Judy.  We have shared many conversations about life and he has brought the love a Jesus further into my life.  Our relationships continues to grow over time.
My two brothers, Marty and Matt are two very different people.  Marty and I share qualities of being out-going, adventurous, and thrill seekers.  Matt and I share qualities of having big hearts and willing to help anyone out in need.  We still have our disagreements, but that is what makes us love each other even more.  We use humor and respect each other’s likes and differences.  These factors have all contributed to our healthy relationships as siblings.



Through my experiences I have learned that relationships need to be nurtured.  They are built upon mutual respect and creating a safe environment.  Effective communication is another key quality to good relationships.  In order to maintain positive relationships there must be give and take.  We all make mistakes, sometimes through selfish thinking.  How we respond to other’s actions or how we correct our mistakes builds trust and forgiveness. 
I relate the relationships I have built with my love ones very similar to the relationships that I build with children and families on a daily basis.  Many of the same qualities are present in both settings.  Children and families need to feel safe, nurtured, and respected as well.  Open communication is a key quality too.  My relationships with families, turns into a partnership as we work together to help their child succeed educationally.  Building partnerships has a large impact on creating an effective program as well as my effectiveness as a professional in ECE. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is really a meaningful post Erika. I related to so much of it. I really respect your strength and foundation. It has been evident in your writing already but I understand better where you are coming from now. At the foundation of it all, a Christian Mom. That kind of love is evident without it even being verbalized. You are wise to be diligent in nurturing your relationships and each one needing something a bit different. It's always changing too, isn't it?

    Your father-n-law is especially heart-warming to me as I am leaving tomorrow morning for the funeral of my mother-n-law. The world was a better place with her in it and my thoughts are very much with my sweet father-n-law; she was his "sweetie" for 60 God honoring years. Thanks for blessing me today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the pictures and your post. I left out my mother and father, although I had a relationship with them in the past, they are deceased, but I do consider them as an important part of my life and goals. I like how you noticed that each child/brother is different, even from the same family. My brothers are all different and so are my children. It makes it fun having them around because they are all challenging and makes me see how different relationship building really can effect how you treat an individual.

      Delete
  2. Nice post! Your family sounds wonderful!I also have a strong relationship with my Mom, she is my backbone. I also like how you discussed how your children are different from each other and how you find ways to help you develop strong relationships with them and treat them as the unique individuals they are.

    ReplyDelete