Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Conflict Resolution




As I have mentioned in the past I am a center director of an early childhood learning center.   I hired a new staff member about 3 months ago that was recently transitioned into a new preschool classroom.  My assistant and I have felt that this teacher is really struggling in this particular age group and needs additional training.  On top of that, I have has a couple parent concerns brought to my attention that they feel she is not doing well and the classroom seems out of control.  In a perfect world, I would have pulled her out of the classroom and completed one on one training with her to ensure that she was comfortable with routines, curriculum and classroom management techniques.  Because our world in early childhood is not always perfect, I went with another choice.  I chose to pull her from that particular classroom and place her as a co-teacher in another classroom.  The idea is to pair her with a strong teacher with whom she can learn the routines, curriculum, and classroom management techniques and become proficient.  Once she and I both feel confident that she can lead a classroom on her own, she would then be given her own room.

The conflict arose because this teacher feels like she is doing well and was beginning to feel comfortable with the classroom.  When sitting down and having a conversation with her, I did not ask much of her opinion.  I basically told her what my decision was and provided some backup reasons to my ‘why’.  The teacher was in tears and felt she was being given a demotion.  

Due to the communication and conflict strategies I have learned this week, I am circling back around to speak to the teacher again.  Had I known these strategies earlier, I feel my conversation may have gone more smoothly.  If I would have used the knowledge of Magda Gerber’s 3 R’s, I think the conversation would have been more of a two-way conversation versus one-way.  I should have been more responsive to her individual needs and come to a compromise.  If I would have spoken more about the goal of additional training being beneficial for her and the children maybe the teacher would not have felt isolated and attacked.

I would have also used Marshall B. Rosenberg’s nonviolent communication principles.  Although I did not get violent or even raise my voice during our conversation, I feel like I did not use empathetic listening.  Listening to another during conversation is critical.  People express their observations, feelings, needs and requests during conversation and it is crucial to hear them out so that a compromise can be obtained.  

My goal is to circle back and have a follow up conversation with this teacher using Magda Gerber’s 3 R’s as well as Marshall B. Rosenberg’s nonviolent communication principles.    I would like to find a broader range of solutions that both the teacher and I are comfortable with.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Erika

    I enjoyed reading your post, I think that using confict resolution was a great idea. We all have work with people who think that they are doing a great job, but we have to use good communcation to let them know that additional work or training is need. I think that talking to this person about her strength and then giving her weaknesses will be the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post and I think you made the right decision to go back and talk to the teacher. I am a pre-k teacher and it is not easy, about 3 months ago they added another pre-k classroom with a new teacher. The teacher is not good with that age and she have been expressing concern to the director that the kids are running wild and she would like to be placed in another classrom. The director, did the same thing and told her she will stay, without listening or even training her in the room. It is hard for all of us (pre-k teachers) becasue we all have to help handle the behavior issues coming out of that one class. The downside of the director not listening to her coice is the center is going to end up losing parents as well as a good teacher. Because she is a great teacher with the older students, and the parents in the pre-k class is tired of seeing the children out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, great post! Within the same building of our preschool, there is another school that operates the k-12 classes. The principal sought my advice last week regarding one of her kindergarten teachers who seems to lack the skills of classroom management. Every time the principal drops in, the children are loud and seem to be off task. I suggested that she meets with her privately and discuss her concerns. I also suggested that she starts by allowing the teacher to express herself and grade her performance; perhaps she acknowledges that class management is not her best area and is hesitant to share it for fear of consequences. As a director myself, I have always communicated to my staff that admitting the problem is half the solution, living in denial hurts you and the people around you. If she turns out to be oblivious to the problem, then respectfully share your concerns and observations. I believe O’Hair & Wiemann (2012) refer to this as creating a communication climate where the goal is to move from a defensive climate where one feels threatened to a supportive climate where ideas to resolve the problem are shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally identify with this situation. I have a teacher that I am working with now that I know is not fit for her classroom. While it would be ideal to move her the rest of my classrooms are doing so good and I would hate to interrupt the flow of the other rooms. I know that she is inappropriately placed but besides training, I am not sure what else to do. I know my parents are frustrated as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erika,

    Thank you for sharing this learning piece and I can feel your thoughts and feeling. I like this course and it teaches me so much when communicating with people. More importantly, it gives us strategies to deal with conflicts/problems.

    Lufei

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika,
    It is so hard to tell someone they are failing at something when they think they were performing well. Yikes, what a tough situation. I think that your decision was sound and I don't think you would change the outcome, just the path to get there. I applaud you for your openness in discussing how you handled this situation. I think the teacher in question will appreciate an opportunity to clear the air as well.

    ReplyDelete