Saturday, March 24, 2012

"My Connections to Play"

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
Michael Jordan
American basketball player

Play allows us to develop alternatives to violence and despair; it helps us learn perseverance and gain optimism.

Stuart Brown MD
Contemporary American psychiatrist









Growing up I had an old milk truck for a fort.  I spent countless hours using my imagination as I played.  I remember taking trips across the world, being a mom, delivering milk, or just having good ole fun with cousins during play.








As a young child, my brother Matt was my best friend.  We played together all day long (even when he didn’t want to).  As we got a little older, our play become more cooperative and we played together taking turns.  Our little red wagon is an example of a play time that represents my younger self.  Matt and I would pull each other around everywhere as we went exploring the world around us.

As a young child, I was pushed into the world to explore on my own.  I was the oldest of my siblings and many times was left in charge of watching them as we played outside.  We basically had two rules:  look out for each other and come home when it starts to get dark.  I can’t say that I remember really being supported in play as a child.
My definition of play has been clearly define as an adult and differs greatly from what I knew play to be as a child.  Today I have learned the importance caregivers have of guiding children’s play to support their growth and learning.  I hope to educate more caregivers on the significance of play.  Specifically the staff at my center as well as the families I provide care too.  Educating caregiver’s is vital to a child development.
Play is vital for both children and adults.  Play is as important to our physical and mental health.  It can be a stress reducer and adults still have the capabilities of learning new skills or becoming more comfortable with uncommon concepts.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Erica,

    I love the milk truck fort !! That is soo cool ! :)

    I like the fact that you and your brother were so close. I am envious of that.

    I also like your quotes as well !

    Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ertika I just love the old milk truck. Is that a picture of the original truck from your childhood? It looks great and exciting to see, there was one like that that use to run in city part of my community when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erika,
    I love the milk truck! I can imagine all the journey's it took you on! What a great tool to unlock your imagination. The little red wagon was also a staple toy in my childhood. I was excited to be able to give my nephew one!

    ReplyDelete