Sunday, October 21, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals



When I think about working with children and families that come from diverse backgrounds, the one hope that I have is that they are able to preserve their cultural identity in all settings.  When working with children and families, we encounter a wide range of cultures.  Maintaining their cultural identity is important for feeling valued and excepted.  

Because culture is complex, all educators need to be open to the fact that we are all different and learn to ask questions in order to open up cultural backgrounds.  Building awareness and valuing identity is critical to the world of education.  It is important not to make assumptions, but to promote equity and stand up against oppression and social injustice. 

I want to send out a huge thank you to all my colleagues.  It is through your posts and comments that I continue to grow in the field of education.  It has been a pleasure working with each of you over the last 8 weeks.  I look forward to having future classes with many of you.  Good luck to everyone as you continue your journey. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Erika, educators need to ask questions, but they also need to listen. Sometimes, I find that is very hard, and I'm working on that. Thanks for all your support; I know we are become friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Erika for all your wonderful blogs and discussion posts. It has been great learning through your experiences and sharing knowledge with you. I wish you the best of luck as you continue learning and growing in the early childhood field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika,

    I want to say thank-you, and I really have enjoyed your posts, for me personally they have made a real impact, and I greatly appreciate your openness and your honesty. I also really enjoyed your final pictures on your post, I really think they sum it up when it comes to children and diversity. I wish you all the luck in the future, and I know you will continue on the path to greatness.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika,
    Thanks for your insight, pithy discussion topics, and your honesty. I hope to meet you someday, not just in cyberspace :)

    ReplyDelete