Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions



I was very alert this week as I worked hard to detect examples of microaggression.  I purposely walked isles of stores in hopes to hear or see examples.  My favorite example came as I was standing in line to check out, behind a woman who I presumed to be African American, another lane opened up and the gentleman said to me, “Ma’am, I can help you on the next lane.”  I turned to the woman in front of me and told her she could go first, as she was there before I was.  The gentleman looked very surprised that I had told the woman to go first.  His facial expression was almost a look of disgust.  I immediately recognized the woman’s body language and facial expression in response to the gentleman’s demeanor. 
 
This is an example of a white person being given preferential treatment over a person of color.  The message I perceived was that the African American woman was of a lesser that I was, so I should have been helped first.  I found myself feeling very uncomfortable in this situation.  I didn’t know whether to say something or if my courtesy of allowing her to go first was enough.  She smiled at me and told me thank you, but again I could sense her feeling of the microaggression that was occurring.

The observations that I made this week have certainly opened up my eyes to how often microaggressions occur.  Countless times they occur without one’s knowledge.  The readings and media this week have contributed to my awareness of how others are affected and to be very careful in the words we chose during conversations.  Discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes can be very harmful and have long lasting effects on one’s self-esteem.  Overall this week has been very educational for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erika, I can so relate to the instance that you shared. Before this week, I would never have thought twice about it. Like you, I've been very conscious of actions and words around me on a daily basis. Most of the time, they occur without anyone being aware of them. It's our job to help spread the word to early childhood educators. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika,
    It really is astounding how prevalent this issue is in our society. I live in San Francisco and we have a large Asian population here. Three times this week I witnessed microaggressions against Asians. The instances were conversations about; driving skills, pink grocery bags, and the pilfering of recyclables.

    ReplyDelete