Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When I Think of Research...


I have gained a plethora of knowledge through this course in regards to research.  Completing research was something that I felt I had no knowledge of in the beginning.  As the class went on, I found that assignments, especially our group discussions to help clarify many of my misunderstandings and to be helpful in defining many of the vocabulary that I did not understand.  Now as I work to complete my simulation study, I feel more confident in completing a study, knowing that I have come a long way to see this paper completed successfully.

Some additional challenges that may present themselves in research study involves biases.  Researcher must recognize that often times, their own beliefs may interfere.  Self-reflexivity involves deconstructing the ways in which our desires shape the texts we produce. 

My mind has been opened to the thoughts and ideas behind children and power relations.  Until recently, children were not address for consent in research.  Over the past few years, theoretical perspective of the sociology of childhood, which positions children as competent actors in their everyday worlds and capable of making decisions about participating in or withdrawing from research (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010).

I feel like I have been given the tools in order to be successful in any setting of research.  I feel comfortable with informing other researcher as well as participants the goals and create more equitable relationships for everyone involved.

I am very appreciative of my colleagues through this course.  I started out second guessing If I have the brain power to make it through.  With you word of encouragement, learning through our discussions, and extra prayers, I feel far more successful than I thought I would.  I owe that to our Professor Dartt for guidance and believing in each of us.  In additional to my wonderful colleagues and their contributions and collaborations.  I appreciate all of you!
Refernce:
Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing Early Childhood Research. Open University Press.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Erika,

    I am glad you posted this quote from the book. I also feel it was an eye opening class. I will always think about research on young children and realize they are entitled to be treated as active and willing participants. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to working again in the near future :)

    All the best,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,
    I think we all grew a lot in the process of this course. I was not confident at all at the beginning of this course, as I had no idea of how to plan, design or conduct a research at all. I liked the frame of this course, as it leads us step by step to formulate our research simulation, and everything comes so naturally. I enjoyed your posts and your thoughts that you shared throughout the whole course, I hope we can be in the same class again. Thank you for your support:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika, it has been a pleasure working with you during this course. I believe that we grew together as a group, learning and supporting each other along the way. We have grown individually and as a group.

    I was afraid of research, and now, I realize we do research all the time. And, although I cannot believe that I'm saying this, I'm excited to continue on this road. Our discussions have given me the encouragement that I needed. Thank you so much for sharing and always being so positive.

    I hope we are in the next class together...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika
    I think that children are actors, it amazes me to see and here some of the things that young children say and do. They should have a voice as to what is being ask of them and about them. Thank you Erika for your thoughts and wisdom. Good Luck to you in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I think that biases may always be a struggle in research. Researchers are always going to have an opinion on what they are studying. It is hard to push aside your own feelings when you are trying to stay objective. Thank you for sharing your blog with us during this course. Good luck in all that you pursue personally and professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erika,

    Thank you and it has been a great journey working with all of you. Through discussion board and emails, we have helped each other and opened our minds to learn new knowledge. I have learned a lot about research now and hopefully I can use this new knowledge and apply it to my work with children.

    Thank you and wish you all the best in your future,
    Lufei

    ReplyDelete