Friday, July 6, 2012

My Personal Research Journey


The research topic that I have chosen for simulation is the benefits that attending preschool has on future academic performance through childhood.  I chose this topic because I believe that attending a quality early childhood programs sets children up for future success.  Children who attend early childhood programs are provided with the exposure to multiple educational concepts to help prepare them academically and to have continued academic success through the remainder of their educational experiences.  

The simulation process was very interesting.  It took time to locate articles in which I felt were purposeful for my simulation.  There were several articles to choose from and I read over many to narrow down my search.

The research chart has helped in knowing key words and guiding me through the assigned chapter reading.  Reading through the discussion posts and responding to my peers helped clarify many valuable points in locating quality sources in order to conduct research.
I would love to hear insights that anyone has in regards to conducting quality research.  Especially quality resources that you have found through the last couple of weeks that may help me moving forward with my research simulation.

I mention the NAEYC website in my discussion post, but I would like to direct peers again to the website due to all the valuable articles I have found.  The website is:  www.naeyc.org
 
Another website I visit frequently is NIEER, at http://www.nieer.org/ .  NIEER, which stands for National Institute for Early Education Research, conducts and communicates research to support high-quality, effective early childhood education for all young children.   

5 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,
    I like the topic that you chose to do your personal research. I think it will benefit parents and children at the same time. Many people have realized the importance of letting their children go to preschool, but they do not quite know why it is so important or in which ways it helps children in the future. I hope I can learn some insights from you during your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,

    There is no doubt that children benefit from attending quality preschool program. However, how to define quality program is a somewhat ambiguous area thus making quality programs hard to locate, but I absolutely agree with you that attending preschools will help them academically later in the school.

    Lufei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erika,

    Great choice of topic. I am intrigue to see which direction you will select in designing your simulated study. I think there are great studies out there like the High/Scope and the Abecedarian study to help you consider your options.

    Looking forward to learning more :)

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erika, I am intrigued with your topic, especially with all of the research lately about teaching to the standards. I think it's imperative to choose a quality preschool, and yet, I do not think that the majority of parents have a clue about what constitutes a quality preschool. I look forward to following your research.
    Like you, I'm a huge supporter of the NAEYC website; are you planning on attending their conference in October?
    Thanks for sharing; I'm excited to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Erika,
    I look forward to reading what you find out at the end of this study. I will heed your advice and check out the NIEER site - My topic is relatively new - Im finding it a bit challenging to find 'plenty' of resources. I am 'blazing'a new trail - perhaps. I also do not mind working through a chart with text readings. Good Luck in your study !

    ReplyDelete