Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Birthing Experience

I found out I was pregnant with my first child shortly after I turned seventeen.  I was a junior in high school with my whole future ahead of me.  I was now faced with fear, stress and anxiety.  How was I going to support a child when I was a child still myself and without any support from her father?  What would this mean for my future as well as my child's future?

Being pregnant was easy.  Life however was stressful.  I still needed to go to school in order to graduate on time, I was no longer able to participate in sports, which was my whole life and I lost many friends whose parents said they could no longer associate with me.  No doubt my unborn child was developing under the fear, stress and anxiety that I was going through. The one thing I was sure of was that I loved my baby with all my heart and I was dedicated to our future success regardless to other's thoughts and opinions.  Daily I encountered obstacles and road blocks.  I was determined to continue my fight!

Alixx Brianna was born December 13, 1994 in a traditional hospital setting with no complications.  She was a beautiful and healthy baby girl.  She was welcomed into the world by many people who loved her and supported both of us.  Alixx was supported through family and friend's interactions with her as well as by their hopes for her future. 

Today Alixx is seventeen (scary when I consider the fact that I was pregnant at this very age).  She is still beautiful and healthy and has grown into a very smart young adult.  I chose this birthing experience to share because there were many unfavorable factors that could have impacted the development of my unborn child.  There was tremendous support following the birth of Alixx.  I was determined to finish high school and move directly into college.  I finished my degree along with my peers without delay.  Alixx’s life has been filled with many positive interactions and positive guidance. 



I chose to compare my personal birthing experience to that of China.  In 2009, 18,294 births were recorded (http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/china_statistics.html).  The mortality rates of children have decreased dramatically since China has begun to support mothers financially to have hospital births versus births at home.  "It's a combination of strengthening facilities, training providers, equipping them with the skills and drugs to offer better care – and, through insurance, encouraging families to give birth in hospitals (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/16/china-cuts-childbirth-mortality-rate).   When considering my personal child birth options, it was not between hospital birth and home birth but rather which hospital to deliver at.  They gap is slowly closing between the US and China in regards to prenatal and childhood development.


 (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/china_statistics.html

11 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Because I had my daugther at the age of 18.I just finished high school. And living on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika, I can tell that you had a tough start with your first daughter, but I am so happy to see that you worked it out and you did not give up yourself and your daughter. As you mentioned above, your concern was which hospital to go to can serve you better, and meanwhile in China now, especially in cities, people start to consider the service and quality of the hospital that can offer when they choose the hospital to give birth to a baby. On the other hand, in the rural areas, people are still struggling to go to the hospital as people there may not have enough money or the hospital is too far away from where they live. I am also happy to see that our government starts to change the situation in those areas to make people aware of the importance of giving birth at the hospital and the significance of the health at the prenatal development stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never gave up like alot of young mothers end up doing. You knew what you wanted in life and you went ahead and reached your goals. You knew things were going to be tough but you fought hard. It is good to know you had the support from your family because most young teens don't have the support they need and sometimes alot of children are born and not being loved by their parent. I know you daughter is proud of you for never giving up on her and by you doing this you have showed her how strong you can be and how strong she can be out in the world. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience does reveal true strength. What an amazing bond to venture on successes together.
    I am interested in what areas of China are benefiting with hospital births and how these hospital births are evolving in practice and procedure. I have high hopes for our hospitals in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika, Like the other ladies that have left comments prior to me, you appear to be a strong woman and strong mother. I see teen moms (I teach at the jr/sr highschool level) that do not always do their personal best and give up on themselves and their children. The grandparents become parents again. You are an inspiration to (especially teen) mothers everywhere. I must say you are blessed with a beautiful daughter. Would you ever consider doing motivational speaking ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erika,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It takes a strong person to stay as dedicated as you were to follow through and reach your dreams. I am sure having a loving and supportive family helped ease some of your fears and stress but I can understand your worry about how it was effecting your daughter. I am glad everything worked out and she was healthy and happy. I am sure you have a strong bond and relationship with your daughter because of your strength and determination during your pregnancy and as she grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to everyone for you kind comments.

    Loretta, I used to think about being an motivational speaker for teen mothers when I was younger. I still think it would be great. I am just unsure of how to make that happen. Maybe I should add that to my future goals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspite of your struggle you have raised a beautiful young lady. She is now the same age that you were when you became pregnant, so you probably are worrying yourself about the decisions that she will make. Communication is the key. You truly have a beautiful young lady. However, I have no girls, I have five young men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erika, Your share a story that so many experience. You are a strong determined mother and women. So many girls need to hear stories like yours.

    I too had my first at a very young age. I was 16 when I had my first daughter. I too had so many hopes and dreams. Despite what others doubted about me I continued to achieve my goals. It is my strong belief that this situation allowed me to be more determined than anyone I knew. I had to prove to myself that I was not a failure as so many considered me. Despite all of this I was accepted to college at the age of 16 and graduated three years later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Erika I am glad to see that beatiful young lady of your. I know it were scary for you because I were scared at 20 years when I had my first child. I have several young ladies between the ages of 17 and 18 who are expecting and they seems to not be affraid at all. And I admire you for your strength and your admiration on your young birth by sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erika, thank you for sharing your story with us. You were brave and had a lot of courage by making decisions about your life as well as your future. I'm glad to see that both of you have been supported and loved by your families and friends and now she is a beautiful young lady.

    ReplyDelete